Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Fun. Smart. Effective.

I read this really fascinating article on WebMD today called, Turn Down Negative Self-Talk. You can find it at this link.  While not that long and nothing new, it contains some absolutely enlightening information. 

The article is all about self-talk. How many times have I told myself "I'm stupid," or "I can't do that?" This constant chatter of negativity can really bring a person down. I start to believe that I'm stupid or I can't do something I know good and well I can do. That negativity can eventually make you unable to do something you really want to do. 

The more you focus on the negative events or shortcomings, the harder it is to put it behind you.

The article goes on to tell us that we can overcome and rise above the negative self-talk. It suggests 4 good ways: 

1. Distance yourself
2. Distract yourself
3. Call them out
4. Save them for later

No one is immune to negative self-talk. It's what you do with it that makes the difference. If you learn to replace the negative chatter with positive, you can eventually banish those negative feelings and guilt. 

The article suggests replacing the negative with positive. Say to yourself, "I am confident. I have the skills I need. I am going to trust myself." The more you say those positive things about yourself, the more likely you will believe it! 

It may even help to write it down. Even if you write simple words to help remind yourself you can do it!
You are, "Fun. Smart. Effective."



No comments:

Post a Comment